Crisis Response - Oshkosh West December 2019
This page has been created to provided support and information to the Oshkosh West and OASD school communities following a safety incident at Oshkosh West High School on Tuesday, December 3, 2019. The OASD will continue to provide information to families via the IC Parent Portal. This page will serve as a secondary information source to house all communication and resources and will be updated in real-time.
It is a difficult time for our school community as we reflect on and continue to process the traumatic event that occurred at Oshkosh West High School on December 3, 2019. As previously communicated, the officer-involved shooting that took place was an isolated incident, and no other students or adults were involved. However, we all understand the very real fear and safety concerns that impacted our school community as we were faced with this difficult situation.
Communication to Families
- 12.09.19 - Media Statement - OASD recognizes Officer Wissink during Police Escort (posted 12.09.19 at 2:45 p.m.)
- 12.09.19 - Message to West Families - FYI Non-emergency - Law enforcement magazine for a weapon recovered today
- Sent at 12:55 p.m.: Today, Monday, December 9, a law enforcement magazine for a weapon, belonging to a law enforcement officer who responded to the incident last week Tuesday, was found in the snow outside of Oshkosh West High School. The magazine was immediately returned to law enforcement without incident. There were no viable threats to the school at any time. All students and staff are safe.
- 12.09.19 - Message to OASD Families - Update: Police Escort to Arrive at West as Early as 11:45 a.m.
- Updated at 11:35 a.m.: The planned police escort for Officer Wissink is now expected to arrive at Oshkosh West earlier than previously communicated. The escort may arrive beginning at 11:45 a.m. or Noon. Please see previous message for location details. Thank you for your understanding.
- Original Message sent at 10:30 a.m.: This message is to inform you of a large police escort that will be taking place today to honor and recognize Officer Wissink. This escort is a surprise. Officer Wissink will be in the escort and the Oshkosh West and entire community will have the opportunity to show their support and gratitude to Officer Wissink if they so choose. The escort will pass Oshkosh West, along Eagle Street at approximately 12:30 - 1:30 p.m. Oshkosh West students and staff that choose to participate will be located on school grounds along Eagle Street. Community members and parents are asked to stand along Eagle Street on the side opposite of Oshkosh West and not on school property. We are sharing this information at this time so that you are aware of the planned increased police presence, as well as the opportunity to recognize the efforts of our local law enforcement. Please also understand that this recognition and police escort is meant to be a surprise. As such, we are communicating it in a time frame that allows us to honor the surprise while also providing families and the community with timely information. We remain committed to communicating as quickly and as often as possible. Thank you for your continued support. Oshkosh Area School District
- 12.05.19 - West Letter to Families - Returning to School Support (posted 12.05.19 at 5 p.m.)
- 12.05.19 - West Letter to Families - Returning to School Info (posted 12.5.19 at 11 a.m.)
- 12.04.19 - Press Release: OASD Plans for Returning to School Following Safety Incident at West (posted 12.04.19 at 1:05 p.m.)
- 12.04.19 - West Letter to Families - Returning to School Info (posted 12.04.19 at Noon)
- 12.04.19 - OASD Letter to All Families - Returning to School Info (posted 12.04.19 at 12:10 p.m.)
- 12.03.19 - Counseling Support following West Safety Incident (posted 12.03.19 at 5:31 PM)
- 12.03.19 - West Incident Follow-up - OASD School Canceled for 12.04.19 (posted 12.03.19 at 1:27 PM)
- 12.03.19 - Active Emergency at Oshkosh West (posted 12.03.19 at 10:10 AM)
Counseling Support Services Available
As we continue to process this experience, we want to inform you of various resources and supports that are in place and available to students, staff, and families. The Oshkosh Area School District will have mental health support available throughout the district from counselors, social workers and psychologists. These services will be available to all students and families beginning Wednesday, December 4, 2019 at multiple locations throughout the District, see flyer for more information: PDF - Counseling Support for OASD Students/Families on 12.04.19
Because it is difficult to predict how anyone will react to a traumatic event, we are prepared to support students in their varied responses. Additional resources, including local phone numbers of support agencies, are also available online at OASD Mental Health Resources >> Community Resources